Support to Small and Medium Enterprises
There are over 350 000 small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Hong Kong. They constitute more than 98% of our business establishments and employ about 45% of our workforce in the private sector. Their vitality and business performance are of crucial importance to the development of our economy.
With a view to supporting SMEs to attain prosperity and success, the Trade and Industry Department provides service which aims to facilitate the development of SMEs in Hong Kong and help them enhance competitiveness.
To achieve the objective, the Trade and Industry Department strives to -
- develop policy initiatives and programmes of services to enhance the competitiveness of SMEs and their long term development;
- provide SMEs with a comprehensive range of free business information through the Support and Consultation Centre for SMEs, a first stop provider of business information and advisory services;
- administer funding schemes;
- provide secretariat support to the Small and Medium Enterprises Committee;
- participate in the SME-related activities of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation;
- co-ordinate the efforts of the public sector and industry support organizations in supporting the development of SMEs and meeting their needs. To this end, the Trade and Industry Department has consolidated the services of the existing four SMEs centres, namely, the "Support and Consultation Centre for Small and Medium Enterprises" under the Trade and Industry Department, the "SME Centre" under the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, the "SME One" under the Hong Kong Productivity Council and the "TecONE" under the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation, to provide one-stop "Four-in-One" integrated services. Enterprises can obtain business information, funding schemes information and advisory services, etc. at any of the Centres. In addition, a web portal called "SME Link" is also established for SMEs to access and search comprehensive information and support services from a single online platform;
- promote the importance of brand building, and provide useful information on brand development and market exploration to the trade.