relative file path for layout
Skip to main content  Skip to search  Skip to main menu
Trade and Industry Department The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Brand Hong Kong - Asia world city


Import and Export Licensing Requirements

In general, all import and export of rice into and from Hong Kong must be covered by valid import or export licences, as appropriate. An import/export licence application is to be lodged with the Integrated Customer Service Centre in Room 1324, 13/F, Trade and Industry Tower, 3 Concorde Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong. Applicants can also submit their applications electronically via the Department's e-Form Submission Service. An import/export licence application, whether in paper or electronic form, should be submitted before the arrival/departure of the shipment. The Director-General of Trade and Industry ("Director-General") may where necessary request the applicant to supply further information/supporting documents in support of his licence application. All requests for amendment or cancellation of issued licences must be made in writing to the Director-General.

An application for rice import/export licence, as well as a request for amendment or cancellation of a licence, is free of charge.

An applicant of an import licence must state clearly on the licence application form whether the rice is imported for local consumption or imported for re-export. If the end-use of the rice is to be changed subsequently, the stockholder must immediately make a request for amendment of the licence with the Department.

For more details on the licensing requirements, please click the links below.

Import for Local Consumption

Import for Re-Export

Licence Exemptions

Licence Application Procedures

Alteration of Licence Application

Amendment of Licence After Issue

Licence Cancellation

Retrospective Licence Application

Effect of Shipment

Enforcement and Sanctions

Important Reminder: To avoid committing an offence under the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (POBO) (Chapter 201 of the Laws of Hong Kong), a person shall not offer any advantages as defined in the POBO to any public servant of the Government in connection with his/her application for or approval of licence/registration under the Rice Control Scheme.