HONG KONG - JAPAN TRADE RELATIONS
JAPAN AND HONG KONG ARE IMPORTANT TRADING PARTNERS
- In 2020, Japan was Hong Kong's 5th largest trading partner. Hong Kong was Japan's 9th largest trading partner in 2020.
- Total merchandise trade between Hong Kong and Japan amounted to HK$349,311 million in 2020, decreased by 6.5% from 2019. The average annual growth rate from 2016 to 2020 was -1.0%.
- In 2020, Hong Kong's domestic export of goods to Japan amounted to HK$663 million. Major domestic exports to Japan included jewellery, goldsmiths' and silversmiths' wares, and other articles of precious or semi-precious materials; miscellaneous edible products and preparations; and metalliferous ores and metal scrap.
- Hong Kong's re-export of goods to Japan totalled HK$108,664 million. Major re-exports were electrical machinery, apparatus and appliances, and electrical parts thereof; telecommunications and sound recording and reproducing apparatus and equipment; and office machines and automatic data processing machines.
- In 2020, Hong Kong imported HK$239,984 million worth of goods from Japan. Major imports included electrical machinery, apparatus and appliances, and electrical parts thereof; telecommunications and sound recording and reproducing apparatus and equipment; and office machines and automatic data processing machines.
HONG KONG IS AN IMPORTANT ENTREPOT FOR MAINLAND-JAPAN TRADE
- Hong Kong is an important entrepôt for merchandise trade between Japan and the Mainland of China. Re-export trade between the two economies through Hong Kong amounted to HK$ 262.6 billion in 2020.
HONG KONG IS AN IMPORTANT LOCATION FOR JAPAN INTERESTS
- Hong Kong is a separate customs territory recognised by the World Trade Organization as a member.
- Hong Kong welcomes overseas investment and offers an environment in which there is a free flow of capital and return on investment without exchange controls.
- In a survey covering 9 049 companies in Hong Kong with parent companies located outside Hong Kong, as at June 2021, there were 210 regional headquarters, 423 regional offices and 755 local offices in Hong Kong with parent companies located in Japan.
- Japan was the 11th largest source of external investment in Hong Kong at end-2020. Japan's inward direct investment in Hong Kong amounted to HK$190 billion, accounting for 1.3% of the total.
- Hong Kong and Japan signed an Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (IPPA) and the IPPA entered into force in June 1997. Please click here for more information.
|Summary of Hong Kong's Merchandise Trade with Japan (in HK$ million)|
|2019||% Change 2019/2018||2020||% Change 2020/2019|
While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the above information, the Department cannot guarantee this to be so and will not be held liable for any reliance placed on the same.
Trade and Industry Department
The Government of the Hong Kong
Special Administrative Region
Telephone : (852) 2398 5594
Website : www.tid.gov.hk