Support to Small and Medium Enterprises
There are about 320 000 small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Hong Kong. They constitute over 98% of our business establishments and employ about 50% of our workforce in the private sector. Their vitality and business performance are of crucial importance to the development of our economy.
With a view to supporting SMEs to attain prosperity and success, the Industries Support Division of Trade and Industry Department provides services specific to SMEs.
With regard to support to SMEs, the Industries Support Division aims to :
facilitate the development of SMEs in Hong Kong and help them enhance competitiveness.
To achieve the objective, the Industries Support Division strives to -
- develop policy initiatives and programmes of services to enhance the competitiveness of SMEs and their long term development;
- provide SMEs with a comprehensive range of free business information through the Support and Consultation Centre for SMEs, a first stop provider of business information and advisory services;
- administer SME funding schemes;
- provide secretariat support to the Small and Medium Enterprises Committee;
- participate in the SME-related activities of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation; and
- co-ordinate the efforts of the public sector and industry support organizations in supporting the development of SMEs and meeting their needs.